Friday, November 30, 2012

A New Normal

In Ukraine I used to fantasize about what it would be like to be back in the US and drive again. After so long riding sluggish Ukrainian marshutkas on pockmarked roads, I imagined how terrified I'd be to drive fast again. I recalled this yesterday as I was doing 80 mph on I-94.

It's astonishing how fast we adjust to new circumstances. We can adjust to an increased (or decreased) workload, more (or less) frequent meals, and even life with (or without) loved ones. Whether things change for better or for worse, humans always seem to reach equilibrium pretty fast. Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert gave a TED talk in which he described the descrepancy between how (un)happy we expect to be and how happy we actually are following an unpleasant turn of events. The fact is, humans synthesize happiness when things go poorly. We're resilient like that.

As a generally positive person, I find this hugely encouraging. However, if people can create happiness, it follows that they can create unhappiness too. I don't think academic research is required to see there's no shortage of Debbie Downers and perma-bears among us.

Negitivity and positivity are certainly contagious to some extent. For me, it's not a person's negativity itself that brings me down; it's his choice to be negative that bothers me. That's right, I believe it is a choice. I believe that if a person wants to be unhappy, he will be. No matter how good things get, he has the power to put himself in a bad mood. But I believe the inverse to be true as well: No matter how bad things get, a person who wants to be happy has the power to put himself in a good mood. So let's keep in mind that happiness is ours for the taking. Our positivity will help lift the spirits of those around us (but the choice to be positive is ultimately theirs).

No comments:

Post a Comment