Monday, October 22, 2012

Beginnings and Endings


Preface:


I thought this would be a fitting inaugural post, as it marks the end of a narrowly-themed (and thus scantly updated) blog and the beginning of a broader (and hopefully more regularly updated) blog.

A lot of things are changing in my life. A new job, a new country. The end of a romantic relationship, the beginning of some remarkable friendships. Some of the things that are ending were part of my life for years; some lasted only a couple months. As new things begin in my life, I find myself wondering what (and who) will play an enduring role, and what (and who) won’t. But what specifically will last isnt so important; what’s important is that the things that will last will do so because they contribute to my growth.

Endings are a time for reflection. As one lives the final moments, goes through the final motions, it's natural to think back on what transpired. My fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I recently had a close of service conference, signifying the end of our international engagement. The conference meant the end of being near other volunteers, some of whom I only befriended at the very end of service. It also represented the end of my immersion in a foreign culture. But my time here, although drawing to a close, marks the beginning of my interest in foreign languages and volunteering.

Despite being the counterpoint to endings, beginnings are just as much a time for reflection. This is because beginnings are a time for growth. Beginnings cause us to identify goals and choose a direction for ourselves, and these activities require reflection. In the past few weeks I’ve seen the beginnings of many new friendships. Soon I’ll move to an unfamiliar city in a “newly foreign” country, which brings with it a new atmosphere and new opportunities. I just finished applying to business school, which was the end of an arduous process but the beginning of something much larger. Business school will mark the beginning of a new direction in my career.

Ultimately, beginnings and endings are the same thing: transitions. Transitions are everything; our life stories are told in terms of beginnings and endings. Transitions induce growth, and growth is the essence of life. There cannot be life without growth. I want to reach a point where my life consists of a steady stream of transitions, growth, and the excitement of living.

1 comment: